Thursday 17 May 2007

Crossing a bridge in the village

Karumady: 17th May

A short walk along village paths there is a 10th century black granite idol of the Buddha called the “Karumadikkuttan”. There is a certain sadness about the statue which sits contemplatively overlooking the river and has an arm missing after an attack from a wild elephant. On the way back I took a different route and the path turned in to a log bridge, about a foot wide and 10 feet long , above a fast-moving water current between two flooded fields. It was suited to the small nimble feet of the locals, not to mine. There was no other way across and I noticed villagers had congregated staring at me, smiling. Well this was it. I couldn’t turn round now could I? I made three rapid steps, slipped and fell in the water which was cool and clear. A man from the village helped me out and the villagers clapped.

No comments: